Durex Industries manufactures custom Kapton® heaters. Kapton flexible heaters (polyimide heaters) offer superior tensile strength and tear resistance, with precision heat distribution. Kapton Heaters are ideal for extreme temperature environments. Kapton heating elements are constructed of a flexible lightweight organic polymer thin film with high dielectric capabilities while providing superior resistance to most solvents, oils, even radiation.
- Custom flexible heater designs
- Transparent Kapton® (polyimide) thin film allows easy visual inspection of the internal structures
- Etched foil heating elements
- Kapton®, Teflon®, or Silicone leads are available
- Flexible lightweight organic polymer thin film heaters
Kapton® is a Registered Trademark of DuPont
Polyimide Heaters and Integrated Assemblies
Polyimide Heaters and Integrated Assemblies are a thermal solution for applications requiring precision temperature profiles. By supplying a thermal assembly that has been optimized for an application, Durex can assure that part-to-part performance will meet the clinical diagnostics equipment specifications. Polyimide heater solutions are commonly used in PCR thermal cycler, lab-on-a-chip and other applications.
Kapton Heater Specifications & Options
- Sizes: Custom, consult Durex Industries for your application requirements
- Standard Thickness: .007" in
- Maximum Watt Density: 50 W/in² (depending on application, consult Durex for higher densities)
- Standard Dimensional Tolerances: Less than 12" ± .062, Greater than 12" ± .125
- Maximum Operating Temperature: 450°F (232°C)
- Minimum Operating Temperature: -319˚F (-195˚C)
- Wattage Tolerance: ±10%
- Dielectric Strength: 1000 VAC
Heater Mounting Options
Pressure Sensitive Adhesive
PSA is the most common option for mounting Kapton® heaters. By selecting proper materials, including the release agent, you can promote a strong bond and effective heat transfer.
Kapton® heaters can also be clamped to their heating surface. A pressure plate is then fastened in place. To ensure even distribution of heat, and to protect the Kapton heater, a pressure pad or insulation layer is advised. The work surface should be free of any debris, dirt, chemicals, bumps, or grooves. This will protect the Kapton heater as well as prevent overheating.
When mounting to a smooth cylindrical surface, Kapton® heaters can be mounted with self-fusing tape. This will provide a safe operation and even transfer of heat.
Kapton® (polyimide) Heater Control Options
For temperature control on Kapton® heaters, Durex recommends a resistance temperature detector (RTD) or thermocouple. Temperature sensors are mounted to the surface of the Kapton heater and send a resistance measurement to an external temperature controller that cycles the heater at a set temperature.
Request a quote or contact us for assistance.
Flexible Heaters - Silicone Rubber & Kapton® 08-04-14 1.6MB