Mineral Insulated Cable Heaters
Mineral insulated cable heaters can be formed to a wide variety of shapes and sizes that can deliver high temperatures to areas where standard heaters are impractical due to size or space restrictions. MI Cable heaters can be formed to cover cylindrical areas that require uniform heat patterns. Custom-formed mineral insulated cable heaters are transitioned with a moisture resistant transition to a flexible lead wire, which can have additional protective jackets such as stainless steel braid or stainless steel armor.
- Wattage and voltage customized to application
- Elements can be formed to specification or formed on location
- Optional internal thermocouple can be located at various points for precise temperature control
- Sealed lead wire transition eliminates contamination
- Sheath materials available in 304 stainless steel, 316 stainless steel, Inconel® 600, or custom material available upon request
Custom Cable Heaters
Custom cable heaters can be formed to a wide variety of shapes and sizes that can deliver high temperatures to areas where standard heaters are impractical due to size or space restrictions. Cable heaters can be formed to cover cylindrical areas that require uniform heat patterns. Custom-formed cable heaters are transitioned with a moisture resistant transition to a flexible lead wire, which can have additional protective jackets such as stainless steel braid or stainless steel armor.
Immersion Cable Heaters
Durex can modify any cable heater with special sheath materials, sheath seals and protective connection housings for immersion heating in a gas or liquid environment. Flange and over-the-side designs, as well as many other styles, are also available.
Straight Cable Heaters
Straight cable heaters are constructed of compacted MgO insulation and capable of operating at temperatures up to 1800°F (980°C) with excellent dielectric strength and insulation resistance properties. Sheath materials of Inconel or stainless steel are standard. These cable heaters can be manufactured with internal thermocouple for integral temperature control. Special cold section lengths can also be designed into this heater as dictated by application requirements.
Teflon® Sheathed Cable Heaters
When the temperature, moisture-resistance or chemical exposure factors require, Durex cable heaters can be supplied with Teflon® end seals on the heater sheath, Teflon® coating on the entire sheath and/or Teflon® insulated lead wires. Durex produces these cable heaters for such demanding yet varied environments as semiconductor and food processing applications, among many others.
Cable Heater Specifications & Options
- Watt density: 150 watts per square inch of sheath surface area maximum with ideal application, consult factory
- Maximum temperature: 1500°F (815°C)
- Heater cable diameters: 0.040", 0.062" 0.093", 0.125", 0.132", 0.150", 0.170", 0.188", 0.200", 0.250", Consult the factory for additional sizes
- Cable diameter tolerance: 0.005
- Heater length tolerance: 0 to 6" ( 1/8"), 6" to 18" ( 1/4"), 18" to 24" ( 3/8"), 24" to 120" ( 3/4"), 120" to 300" ( 1")
- Resistance tolerance: 10%
- Standard voltage: 120 or 240 volts, for higher or lower voltages, contact Durex Industries
- Thermocouples: ANSI Type J or K
Heater Transition and Termination
- Transition (potting) adapters:
- 0.25" to 0.38" diameter (see standard specifications chart)
- Transition temperature ratings: The standard transition is rated to 482°F (250°C). An optional high-temperature transition is rated to 842°F (450°C). Standard heater lead wire insulation is TGGT (Teflon®, double fiberglass, Teflon® impregnation) rated to 482°F (250°C)
- Thermocouple: Standard leads use a fiberglass insulation rated to 900°F (482°C) Teflon® insulation is available upon request
- Optional lead protection: Fiberglass sleeving, stainless steel overbraid, or stainless steel armor cable available
|Sheath Cross Section||Maximum Voltage||Adapter||Minimum Bend Radius|
|0.080 x 0.140||240||0.28||0.88||0.38
|0.100 x 0.120||240||0.28||0.88||0.38
|0.105 x 0.150||240||0.28||0.88||0.45
|0.130 x 0.130||240||0.28||0.88||0.45
Radius may be reduced to two times the sheath diameter under ideal conditions. Consult Durex Industries. Resistance / Wattage Tolerance 10%
Request a quote or contact us for assistance.
Cable Heater Typical Applications
- Heat Trace / Freeze Protection
- Semiconductor Manufacturing
- Plastic Molding Hot Runners Systems
- Air or Liquid Immersion
- Cutting and Sealing Bars
- Tube and Pipe Heating
- Large Surface Areas
- Vacuum Chambers